Grafted Trees

TC3

Headache !
How / where do I look up info on whether a tree is grafted ?
I've been seeing over-buried trees that appear to be mistakenly planted at the grafting point. I asked my landscape supplier if tri-color beech are grafted, and he said, "No." ... but when I scoured the web for info, I found that some (purple) beech are, in fact, grafted.
I'm sooo confused !!!

Most nursery trees are grafted I beleive. Green ash seems to be a common root stock in the process

Every thing I see about tricolor beech says it is grafted. Generally if you are going for vegetative propagation of a plant for leaf color, flowering, branch pattern or any other very specific characteristic, you will find that it is grafted. Also for some plants that are not tolerant of various soil conditions, hence the use of green ash. Some plants can be started from cuttings and will be on their own root-stock, but there are many more grafted varieties.

As to burying the graft, remember the part of the rootstock which was normally out of the moist environment of the soil is not equipped to live well in that environment. Go by the root flare leaving the first set of roots just below the surface, if not slightly above.

Back