Cherry issues

sotc

Dormant hero!!
So I got a call on these cherries. Some dying, manager thought the irrigation got interruped. Soil seemed to have enough moisture and this looked fungal to me but its been hot. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 6
If it was an irrigation issue then it was resolved a week ago. The green parts of the leaves don't look like they are suffering from lack of moisture. Were you experiencing extreme heat and/or drought in the last month or so?

Looks more like a chemical burn to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No extremes

Yes, we have had a couple rains Brent but not alot

Not sure but cherry doesn't do great here. Some flowering vareity

Good eye, Brent. I've also seen heat damage from paving machines to roadside trees, and it looks a lot like that.

Although you would think that would damage the entire leaf

Sometimes lack of water or low quality water will burn the leaf margins like that but it's usually more even. It could be the lack of water at a hot spell and now the moisture level is OK but the damage has been done.

Everything is new, I did some clearing in there 5 or 6 years ago for the development.

Sun reflecting off of cement multiplies the heat effects/lack of water to the tree. Maybe wrong species for the location?

If it weren't all on the margins of the leaves I would agree that it's chemical and I still wouldn't rule it out but those leave look exactly like a broad leaved container plant the had the roots briefly go dry. The way they're situated on that grade, the roots on the sidewalk side would go dry first. If that's the case, keep'em wet and they'll recover.

I have to wonder though, what's under that little gray strip of mulch running parallel to the sidewalk... a trench perhaps?

Good input but this happened in about a 3 week period and theres a row very nearby that looks good:dur:

In fact you can see the good trees in the next picture, like someone drew a line and said these can get sick looking and these shall stay healthy:dur:

Back