Tree failure

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 4K
M

Mr. Sir

This lead came down today, right down the street from my house. No wind or rain, it just gave up and fell. Anybody want to take a guess at the primary cause of failure?

Attachments

• pics8 010.jpg
    pics8 010.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 10
  • pics8 011.jpg
    pics8 011.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 9
  • pics8 012.jpg
    pics8 012.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 10
The tree was topped when it was younger, all the top leads are resprouts. Laurel oaks topped like that 30 years ago usually have lots of included bark in the main crotches. They can eventually fail. I see lots of decay on the old pruning cuts as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:thumbup: We have a winner! You got it, Brian. Sadly, it's a pretty common failure on 30 to 50 year old oaks around here.

Yes, rot, but the cause of the rot was the topping 30 years ago.

Yes, rot, but the cause of the rot was the topping 30 years ago.

to me it looked like the average spreader willow/water/whatever oak in the flat lands. Trunk goes to a mid point, and then divides from there. Our topping damage looks different.....but it dont matter. Decay/Rot

yes, but the cause of the pruning was the planting of the tree years before. do I win? If the tree had never been planted, it would never have failed! :D

seriously, then we should perhaps blame Alessandro Volta, without continuous elctric current we wouldnt have needed the powerlines which begat the topping which caused the included bark rot failure!

Erik, if I follow your lack of logic, you say the root of the problem was the initial creator then? without that incident, NONE of this would have happened. Sorry Brett, I have been minding my own business on the religious posts and threads but this is posted in a humourous fashion, not spiteful so hopefully its not too offensive.
obligatory smiley for effect: :)

Erik, if I follow your lack of logic, you say the root of the problem was the initial creator then? without that incident, NONE of this would have happened. Sorry Brett, I have been minding my own business on the religious posts and threads but this is posted in a humourous fashion, not spiteful so hopefully its not too offensive.
obligatory smiley for effect: :)

That nasty old Big Bang started this whole mess! :D

Back