ID this Palm

Fiddler

Treehouser
Had to trim this palm away from power lines while on storm call for hurricane IKE.
Only one I've ever climbed and was just wondering what kind it was.

Attachments

• try3.jpg
    try3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 56
Kinda hard to tell from that tiny pic. Did it have thorns along the stalks of the fronds? Maybe a Washingtonia robusta?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cut the heck out of my hands sawing off a few fronds. Sorry about picture size, tried three ways to make it larger so far.
It was super soft. spurs fell right into it but couldn't hardly pull them out again

there were what could be thorns or spikes on the frond stalks. I think I was getting cut from the fronds also.

it looked like such an innocent little tree from the ground.

If you've already shrunk the picture then you can't really make it bigger. You'd have to go back to the source file.

Looks like it might could be a type of Washie.

Didn't really look that closely at the fronds other than what was in the lines and what I could save.
I was more paying attention to how I was removing them, not having worked on one before, and taking directions from the Utility Forester.

I didn't shrink it. it came in an email to me from a guy in Tx.

Not much to go on there. I see that the diameter of the trunk looks to be about 1 foot, and it is a fan-type palm.

Any chances of getting more, bigger, better pics?

love
nick

Nick, Nope, only pic I was sent and haven't heard back from they guy.

The only other thing I remember, is the top of the tree was covered in hundreds of little red spiders.

It is a washingtonia felifera (California fan palm) the robusta is skinnier trunk.
Jeff
hope I spelled right

Washingtonia

Those things are great when you're piecing them out and a barb runs down your wrist, then snags your glove and just hangs there.

That's cutting in one cut,
some toss the frond and then drop the frond boot with two cuts.

Rumination....Houston, TX

Thanks for the input everyone.

The easiest way to trim them is to make sure you cut the stem behind the last thorn. Do not leave stubs with thorns on the trunk, because they will just be in your way and hurt you when you try to make the next cut.

It's amazing how many people trim these things for years and still leave stubs with thorns on every cut, then they whine about how they always get stuck when trimming them.

Back