Hackberry Canker--vicious but unnamed

treelooker

Treehouser
In Montreal this is near epidemic no codit no clue, looks fatal on all but juvenile. streetside and parks, all sides of tree, no fruiting bodies seen, worse every year. :whine:

Help!

Attachments

• hackberry canker cookie.jpg
    hackberry canker cookie.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 12
wow. staining, no galleries, woundwood (which seems to indicate initial infection), bark decomposition/loss... by the ring count it looks like it was infected 5 years ago? no lab ID on a pathogen?

Guy, go ahead and post some of the other pictures on this site as well. Looking at the pictures (on the other site) my initial impression was an abiotic injury. That's why I asked if forest trees were affected also. All city trees, even in the boulevards and parkways, can be affected by bizarre weather fluctuations of light and wind from all points of the compass. I have seen sunscald on the bottom of limbs due to reflection from the house.

The Celtis occidentalis, for as tough as it is, also has a low tolerance to salt. I'm thinking beyond just the road salts but all of the salts in fertilizers and such as well. It will be very interesting what you find when you get on site.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
o sorry here. it is said to hit odd spots higher on the stem so not sure about salt (but it's the best/only theory so far)

sotc the smeary dark stuff moving across the stem appears ot be enzymatic activity. i see no walls/lines being drawn by the tree to retard that inward spread. those little dark lines further back i think are made by the fungus not the tree.

Attachments

• hackberry canker 5.jpg
    hackberry canker 5.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 10
  • hackberry canker 4.jpg
    hackberry canker 4.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 11
Here is a "mower damage" photo from mid 80's on Hackberry in Illinois. I think the CODIT is much more distinct. Interesting case.

Attachments

• mowerslab.jpg
    mowerslab.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
Back