Morus?

simplypete

Treehouser
Was out for a mothers day adventure. found this tree I think is a Mullberry but not sure of species. Anyone can help out. The trees were located next to the Owyhee river near a small town in Eastern Oregon named Jordan Valley. Near 4000 in elevation. High desert, very low rainfall.

Attachments

• 100_1778.JPG
    100_1778.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_1779.JPG
    100_1779.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 100_1780.JPG
    100_1780.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1781.JPG
    100_1781.JPG
    643.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1782.JPG
    100_1782.JPG
    939.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The leaves were very young, I would say a week or two old.

I've been up around there. The Owyhees are cool.

Darned autofocus. Those leaves are tough to see but it does look somewhat mulberryish.

We have some mullberries here but not many.

Morus alba:
4889613ead350

Worth the drive in my opinion. We went to the Jordan Craters. Its a lava flow that has not seen too much weathering. Cool place. Don't go in the middle of summer. It was hot walking around and the temp there read 61 deg. We then drove down to The Pinnacle Ranch located on the river due north of the lava flows about 6 miles, maybe 2 as the crow flies. Neat place with a lot of history I'm sure, although we did not have a tour guide.

Morus alba:
4889613ead350

Maybe a pic. of the twig. I think the pic I took was just before the flowers start to bloat into the fruit. You can see some of the flowers starting to form into the fruit. Very fascinating tree imo.

Also some of the leaves on the younger sucker shoots were lobed. That was what started to tip me off to the Morus. I am wondering what Morus is this in this desolate location?

Haha, we get fruitless mulberry round here, occasionally someone cuts one down and leaves it. The new growth becomes a fruiting mulberry, red and black fruit, not sure which variety it is

Trunk and whole tree pics are not as clear regarding color as I would prefer but my guess is Morus Rubra.

I mean to say,

What natural bioregion do mulberries come from, asian steppe, africa? Australia?

Before it was wrangled into horticulture work.

looks like a fruitless mulberry from the flowers, but a siberian elm from the bark

it will be hard for me to say for sure. I won't be back there any time soon. It was about a 2.5 hr drive down a rocky back road and about 1.5 hours on pavement. I am about 99.99% sure of the mulberry just was hoping someone could point me into a species. Anyway, thanks everyone who had input.

Could that be osage orange? I've never seen mulberries with that type of flower.

Back