Macro-Infusion?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 991
W

Wagnaw

I've read a little bit about the damage caused by drilling for many of these injection treatments, and I'm wondering about the opinions here about costs-benefits in your experience.

The area where I am has some really nice large sycamores, many of which are dying back hard from Anthracnose, and I've been looking into Arbotect and other treatments. I'm wondering who of you use this type of treatment, and what is your experience before I get too carried away. :)

Also, have any of you used the Arborsystems Direct Inject thingy? I saw it at the TCIA a coulple years ago, and it claimed to not cause as much tissue damage as the drilling injections. But does it work as well??? Especially, in large trees??

Thanks!

There are a couple thing I can think of on the subject, one is the volume of solution. The more the better. Dilute solutions do less tissue damage at the injection site and get better coverage.
The other thing is the size, number and location of the injection sites. It seems to me if you can get down on the trunk flare and into root tissue, there is better and faster compartmentalization. Then smaller and more numerous holes are better than a few large hole.

It's good to think about long term too. What are your goals? I see a lot of Sycamores that live long, and grow large, even with bad anthrachnose, they just grow slow and look bad. What happens when you stop treatments?

I've seen trees with repeated injuries from years of micro injection treatments of concentrated solutions. The injuries can pile up faster than the tree can cover them.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Back