Bio-Barrier Installation

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 5K
M

Mr. Sir

I finally had a chance to use my "new" root pruner today. I installed the Bio Barrier along this driveway and walkway to deter the live oak roots from growing under the concrete.
I wanted to get some "action" shots, but I was working alone today. Fairly easy job; it took less than 3 hours to do 40 linear feet. The next one should go even faster now that I know what I'm doing. :D

Attachments

• HPIM0785.JPG
    HPIM0785.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0786.JPG
    HPIM0786.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0787.JPG
    HPIM0787.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0788.JPG
    HPIM0788.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM0789.JPG
    HPIM0789.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a mesh material, similar to the landscape fabric that is supposed to prevent weeds from growing in your veggie garden.

It is porous, but has a slow release herbicide bonded to it.

Attachments

• HPIM0794.JPG
    HPIM0794.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 9
hey is that a dosco, or a vermeer tool in the trailer?
Seen one of our crews do it in LA on ficus trees , dosco machine.
I ve thought on of those would be handy, but have been thinking an alpine machine would almost do the same job and grind stumps,
dont know if thats the desired cut on the root though.

How clean is the cut on the roots and how is the healing?

It's a Dosko. I picked it up at the machinery auction for a great price. Maximum depth is 15" and it 's about a 3" wide trench. It makes a fairly clean cut as long as the teeth are sharp.

I charge a base rate equal to my two hour minimum, plus a per linear foot charge.

I did some of that several yrs ago. I just used my stump grinder. It didnt go as deep as I needed so I did have to dig out the rest....

Ive also used a trencher to do some. as long as your quite a ways away w/ the trencher, it doesnt tear stuff up too bad.

Expect a lot of crown die-back on that tree, you'd have been far better off using an Air-Spade and making clean cuts with a silky root saw and loppers, just my opinion..

It's a mesh material, similar to the landscape fabric that is supposed to prevent weeds from growing in your veggie garden.

It is porous, but has a slow release herbicide bonded to it.

Why not just use a root deflector, imo putting more chemicals into the rhizoshere, can't be good long term

15 years, according to the label. :/:

Back