Tree Report

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Well I just got a call from the local country club who would like a report done on a tree. Very simple ID it, determine the age and whether or not it could live submerged in water. They are trying to mount evidence to have their lakeshore property line extended.

I'm wondering a couple of things, best way to determine the trees age without harming the tree at all or having to buy really expensive tools. Also wondering what type of charge for work like this? Do you just keep track of your hours and do a hourly thing or flat rate for consults? I'm kind of wondering what sort of ranges are out there for charging.

Another member here has sent me some arborist reports in the past and I still have those so will be reviewing them.

ISA cert'd arb pays up here.

One tree? Start at $350 and go up from there.

My base is usually $250, that includes a 1 hours site visit and 2 hours in the office.

I got an increment borer on Ebay for $80 a couple months ago, didnt feel like paying the $435 that the local shop wanted for one :|:

That sounds pretty straightforward with little liability issue.

Maybe measure the DBH and compare that to any available local firewood ( where you can count the rings..) of the same species to get an approximate age?

If you need any other reports to peruse for ideas, lemme know, I have done a few more since... well, you know. :D

Cert arb pays here too, if you want, give me a buzz on the cell tomorrow, I am taking most of the day off. I think you have my number, if not, PM eh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah I still got your cell #. Tomorrow I should have time to make it to the site and get some pics and what not. The guy on the phone tonight didn't have any idea as to what type of tree it was, but in his opinion it's apparently very large so finding similar firewood might be tough. He said 5 to 6 ft in diameter for what that's worth. Tomorrow will tell I suppose. Yah it seems like a real fish in a barrel as far as reports go.

Justin, call me if you wish, or email me the pics and I will help if I can, you gotta make a buck and all. :) the report business can be reasonably profitable. :D

For a decent ID attempt, good pics of buds, decent pic of overall shape and habit, check for leaves under the tree, any fruit or nuts etc.

Odds are, if its lived close to water its whole life and done wel... it will continue to do so ;)

Ya Paul I'm sure I'll be wanting to pick your brain on this a bit. I'd like to do a bang up job of this and charge reasonably as It'd be a good foot in the door. But of course I still want to make a profit doing it, otherwise it's not called business.:D

nah,
I can help a brudda out. :) U call me though, I aint paying long distance to feed your family :P

I have some literature on writing tree reports, but not a standardized form. This will be my first, as long as I can somewhat accurately determine the trees age. I had one other inquiry early in the year but they were wanting me to 'certify' their trees as safe so I passed on that.

I recommend putting a percentage value on the things you are asked to 'certify'. This gives you an out. If you say that the tree has an 80% chance of survival with the change in the water table and then it dies, you're still golden.

Brian, all they're looking for is positive ID, age, and whether the tree would've been able to survive if it was submerged. They're trying to argue that the lake was never as high as this tree so the property should be included in their lakefront title. They're trying to 'claim' more land I'm assuming so they can build or expand their clubhouse. Live or die, the health of the tree they're not interested in. Just what I listed. I may not make it there today, it's way across town and I'm hermitting up.

I don't mean to sound dumb (it just comes naturally), but don't all trees pretty much die if they get submerged? I think the roots have to absorb oxygen, and this doesn't happen if they are under water. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but ask yourself - how many trees have you seen growing under water?

some trees can handle it in a seasonal situation, like willows during spring flooding time but I betcha the tree up in Squishies area isnt going to like it. Very hot, dry climate in general up his way, I dont see a tree surviving in those conditions then also being able to survive bayou like conditions.

Skwerl, up here we have a provincially recognized (by WCB) tree hazard rating system value from 0 to 12, 12 being the most hazardous. The system takes in to account, size of part likely to fail, likelihood of failure, value of target and an optional couple of points at the assessor's discretion for significant observations (big cavity, presence of decay fungi etc). I will try to attach the worksheet I use (didnt work, its an exel file, if anyone wants to see it PM me your email address), based on the system we use.
FWIW its a two days course with about 8 hours in class, 4 hours in the field then a 2.5 hours written (not all multiple guess) test. a pass gets you 3 years recognition then you gotta take the test and/or the whole course again.

Weeping willows often line the lakes here and I've seen many growing right in the water for a good portion of the year. So that was one of my thoughts that it might be and then it wouldn't really help their case any in determining past levels of the lake.

Ok here's some pics of what I beleive to be an American Elm. Now the form threw me a bit but the tree has been topped in the past so I'm attributing it to that. The leaves were far and few between as they clean up really well at this place. But I did get a couple.

Diameter 4', Height 85'

I'd say this tree is not very common here, not native so if I'm wrong let me have it.:D

Also, any idears on establishing a age even aprox. without flying Paul up here?

Attachments

• IMG_7276.JPG
    IMG_7276.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7272.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7284.JPG
    IMG_7284.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7290.JPG
    IMG_7290.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 20
They're trying to argue that the lake was never as high as this tree...

Never say never but I would say that the water level hasn't been tickling the base of that tree since it has been growing. Is there an original property survey available? That should demarcate the boundaries I would think.

Did you core it to count the rings or are we still guessing? :)

I dont think you cn come up with a legally binding figure unless you core it FWIW. If you want to borrow my increment borer we might be able to wing it, its only a 16" model though, you would have to take a sample then do some math to get a reasonably accurate #. If you want to buy one for yourself, Deakin Equipment sells them down here, for about $250 I think. Fraser Valley equipment wants $435 for one.

Well until you send me your coring tool, I don't got one! So just guessing at this point. I'm assuming that that tree is not on their property but on surveyed shoreline which is why they want to argue that it's not shoreline if water hasn't been there in 50-100 years? I'm going to follow up with some history questions tonight when the fellow I'm dealing with gets home from work.

I dont think you cn come up with a legally binding figure unless you core it FWIW. If you want to borrow my increment borer we might be able to wing it, its only a 16" model though, you would have to take a sample then do some math to get a reasonably accurate #. If you want to buy one for yourself, Deakin Equipment sells them down here, for about $250 I think. Fraser Valley equipment wants $435 for one.

I'll keep that in mind I've got a few contacts around town here I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow and see what I can scare up up here.

looks like american elm to me and id say thats a pretty good guess as far as a guess will get you. 4' could easily be older to

Yah I'm gonna have to source a coring implement to determine a half-ass accurate age I suppose. Those measurements are measured not guessed, well height was measured off the stick trick which on flat ground like that is usually damn close.

I didn't think of that actually. I stick tricked it and then measured with my 100' tape, two directions for a average. Easy peasy and no math.:D Although I did have to stretch my brain to get the diameter from the circumference

Back