Tree Sterilization

treelooker

Treehouser
Washington DC uses Pinscher growth regulator on female ginkgoes to manage litter nuisance. Also said to be good on sweetgums. Any other success stories with this or other products?

Killjoys !
Gingko fruit is a good resource, especially for the folks that know how to harvest / use it... even if it does smell like dirty diapers !
Sweet Gum fruit is another story.
I only know of Cambistat as a growth / fruit inhibitor. Will watch this thread with interest.
How is Pinscher applied ?

What are some uses for ginko fruit? Never seen a ginko tree, never mind its fruit. Just curious.

That's the first I've heard of growth regulators being used to suppress nuisance fruiting. Great idea though. Guy, unfortunately, you being someone who stays up-to-date on plant health care puts you in the spot light. We're all just going to ask you what you know about it. :D

...So... What's the deal? I've actually wanted to look into growth regulators more because I'm wondering if they may have a beneficial effect on drought stressed trees too. Any thoughts with this as well, or do you have any good links describing the science behind the regulators?

Ginkgo_biloba_stueber.jpg

They are REAL MESSY - i can not say anything about the smell

Smell ?!? Welllllllll... justnevermind !
The fruit of the Gingko is used for Gingko Biloba >>> memory enhancer, forreal.
The 'seed' is at the heart of the fruit, which smells like ass. Asians seem to be the most 'in tune' with how to process it. I witnessed it years ago on city easement trees that were mistakenly planted FEMALE. Mistake ! Korean folk came out in droves to harvest them, but I never followed up with them on how they 'do' it ? I GOOGLED it & found out the nuts are roasted, ... I think ???
I am constantly asked by customers how to reduce / illiminate fruit from Crab Apple in particular. Gosh, you want the bloom, but are peeved about the result ??? I dunno.

I looked into the use of growth regulators to control mistletoe several years ago. I decided against it as it is not recommended for use on stressed trees. This was for Florel, which breaks down into ethylene mimicking a reaction to stress, thereby aborting blossom production.

I have several customers who spray their olive trees with "Olive Stop" to prevent fruiting.

We had a great speaker at our horticultural expo last year who asked "how much fruit would you expect to get if you planted only female ginkos?" He maintained that we are killing ourselves with pollen by over planting male trees.

The fellows name is Thomas Leo Ogren and here is a story on him at NPR. If you ever get a chance to meet him he's a pretty cool guy.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1249976

Sorry for not answering your question Mr. Milliieu.

I believe Roundup is the ultimate in growth regulators. It pretty much stops it altogether.

Back