Chile Recipe for the Mrs.

rfwoodvt

TreeHouser
Hey All,

Since my daughter bagged a nice buck this year we just happen to have some ground Venny to make up a batch of chili.

Unfortunately the Mrs has developed GI issues (early stage esophogeal erosions apparently) and can't do the good-ole 6 alarm chili any more. :cry:

On top of that I'm not supposed to do sugars, beans, wheat or corn so that limits most of the great recipes I've found online. :whine:

Lentils are OK

I'm looking for a good flavor packed chili that has just a hint of heat. The thicker the chili the better.

Any help is appreciated

ThanX!

Rick

Real chili desn't have beans, corn, or wheat, so no problem there. Shouldn't have tomatoes either, but that makes it a bit harder to do.

So, start by browning the venison, add some sauted onions and garlic, and then start experimenting with chili powder (not hot), cayenne (hot), cumin (good Mexican flavor), and salt. Add some canned tomatoes and tomato paste until you have the consistency you want. That's the way we do it - no recipe, just keep adding stuff until it tastes good.

If you need a filler I guess you could add barley, or couscous. Masa is good as a thickener, but I believe it's wheat based.

Masa is corn based and also provides the corn flavor as well as thicken.. Masa is dough in spanish, taken by Mexico as Corn dough, and is a derivative of maize I believe taken from native americans the word for corn. I could be wrong. But usually masa flour is corn flour as I recall. :)
SO I don't think you will find it as a wheat based product ;)

Masa is corn based and also provides the corn flavor as well as thicken.. Masa is dough in spanish, taken by Mexico as Corn dough, and is a derivative of maize I believe taken from native americans the word for corn. I could be wrong. But usually masa flour is corn flour as I recall. :)
SO I don't think you will find it as a wheat based product ;)

You're probably right, as I've also seen the word used in connection with tamales, which I know are corn.

Hi Rick, how does this one sound? :occasion5:

Deer Meat Chili

4 lb Chili cut deer meat
1/2 ts Oil
2 Mdm chopped onions
3-4 stalks celery, chopped fine (optional)
Chili powder to taste
Cumin to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lg Can tomato paste
Cooked rice

Brown meat in a well seasoned black cast iron Dutch oven. Remove all of the water in the meat. Add oil to meat and brown onions and celery. Season to taste with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add tomato paste and cook until tender. Serve over rice.

That's the way we do it - no recipe, just keep adding stuff until it tastes good.
That's the way I do mine, I cook the meat in beer and onions. Then add what ever, pork, chicken, beans, peppers, the combinations are endless.

Back